Signs You Need To Have Your Home's Wiring Replaced

2 February 2017
 Categories: , Blog


Your home's wiring is like the respiratory system of the building: if it fails to function, all of the appliances won't work, and you'll be left literally in the dark. Your home's electrical wiring can become damaged or worn over time for a variety of reasons, including pest infestations and general age. Thankfully, there are a couple of warning signs that you can keep an eye out for to help determine when you need to contact an electrician, like one from B Electric Inc, to have your wiring replaced.

Flickering Lights

If the lights in your home are flickering, the wiring within your home is likely very old and frayed. The flickering is caused by a variable supply of power to the lightbulbs, caused by damaged wiring, or sometimes by a faulty breaker. Sometimes, your lights can flicker if you plug in another appliance when the lights are on. Either way, you should have a professional come in and take a look at your electrical system to diagnose and fix the problem.

Warm Outlets and Switches

If you notice that heat is radiating out noticeably from the light switch panels and electrical outlets in your home, you should contact an electrician straight away and avoid using those panels and outlets as much as you can. This is a very good indication of improperly insulated or installed wiring, which carries a great risk of an electrical fire occurring. If you notice any scorch marks, smoke, or the smell of burning in the areas around these warm outlets and switches, there has likely been a minor electrical fire recently. This is an extreme safety hazard, and a professional should look at this straight away for your own safety.

Damaged Wires

While it can be hard to find exposed wiring depending on how your house is set up, you should do a visual inspection wherever possible in order to determine what condition your electrical wiring is in. Look for signs of fraying, chewing, or other forms of damage which may affect the insulation of the wires and increase the risk of an electrical fire occurring. The appliances, lights and outlets that damaged wires are attached to should not be used, as they can malfunction or start a fire – instead, contact a professional right away to replace the damaged wires that you have found, and to inspect the rest of your home's electrical system to locate any other damaged areas.