The electrical system is one of the most relied-upon systems in an entire home. It facilitates heating, lighting, air conditioning, cooking, and even doing laundry. Therefore, a faulty electrical system can cause major setbacks in your home. Luckily, there are subtle signs that, when detected early, can prevent inconveniences and disasters in your home. Below are some commonly ignored signs which indicate you need electrical repairs.
Do you feel a tingling sensation when touching switches, outlets, or appliances? The tingling feeling usually results from a mild electrical shock. Mild shocks are easy to dismiss as they don't cause any apparent bodily harm. However, they signal a problem with your electrical system. Some common causes of electric shocks are:
- Loose connections and damages in your outlets and switches
- Outdated two-prong outlets with no ground wire
- Damaged circuitry in your appliances
If ignored, these problems can escalate and cause life-threatening electric shocks. You should contact an electrician for system inspection and repairs.
Do your lights flicker or dim even when there is no power surge in your home? Are you replacing bulbs every few weeks or months? These problems could be due to poor-quality lighting fixtures. However, if your bulbs and other components are of excellent quality, your electrical system could be the problem.
A short circuit can prevent electrical current from flowing properly to your lighting fixtures. This problem leads to dimming and flickering lights. A problem with your wiring can also cause bulbs to blow often. Bulb explosions can be scary; therefore, fix the electrical problem to avoid these issues.
Circuits Tripping Often
How many times do you reset your circuit breakers? If often, it may be time to check the root of the problem. A healthy electrical system should not trip your circuit breakers. Tripping breakers show a problem with a particular circuit. The most common problem is a circuit overload. If you recently bought a new appliance, your circuits may not be designed to handle the extra load.
Similarly, some homes don't have adequate circuits to handle power-hungry equipment. Resetting your breaker doesn't solve the problem. Sometimes, the overload may cause overheating and damage to appliances. Therefore, the next time a circuit breaker trips, call an electrician as you may have a bigger problem on your hands.
Are parts of your wall warm to the touch? Your electrical wiring has insulation, and it should not transfer heat to its surroundings. If parts of your wall feel warm, it could be because some current is being transferred to the wall. This happens when the insulation gets damaged. Failure to repair the wires can lead to electrical fires.
Have you noticed any of the above issues in your home? Though subtle, these problems can cause electrical hazards in your home. Contact an electrician for prompt repairs.